NAI Institutional membership is offered at two levels including Sustaining Member Institution and Member Institution.
Sustaining Member Institution:
The highest level of institutional membership is obtained through the Sustaining Membership category. This membership is available to a limited number of institutions to receive exclusive benefits which further highlight their research and innovation while providing vital support for the NAI to expand into a new era of growth in programs, visibility and membership. An unlimited number of individual inventor members are included with this membership category.
This most prevalent level of NAI institutional membership offers members visibility of research and innovation and the opportunity to recognize and honor inventors on campus. Included in this category is membership for up to 40 individual inventor members.
Sustaining Member Institution Benefits ($10,000):
NAI Annual Meeting Benefits:
- One annual complimentary registration for a representative from your institution to attend the annual meeting
- Recognition of your institution as a Sustaining Member Institution from the podium and in print material at the annual meeting
- VIP seating for representatives from your institution at the Signature Reception
- Logo displayed on the NAI homepage with a link to your website
- Institution will be identified as a Sustaining Member Institution of the NAI in media and print publications
- Inventor from your institution will be featured in the NAI Annual Report
- Exclusive early access to NAI publications prior to public release
- Opportunity to designate a guest editor on a special issue of the NAI journal Technology and Innovation
- Preference given to serve on NAI special project and national public policy committees (upon request)
- All Member Institution benefits outlined below
Member Institution Benefits ($2,400) for US members / ($3,600) International:
- Honor the inventors and innovators among your institution’s faculty, staff, students, alumni and affiliates, and encourage the creative thinking and spirit of innovation in your community.
- Support development and commercialization of academic patents and inventions, and the disclosure of intellectual property.
- Advocates, serving as a voice for academic inventors at universities and federal and nonprofit research institutes with the USPTO and Dept. of Commerce.
- Opportunity to publish in the NAI journal, Technology and Innovation. Institutions that join during the Charter Member period have the opportunity to name a member to the journal’s editorial board.
- Annual meeting featuring world-class presentations and networking with renowned inventors from across the U.S. and around the world, representatives from our Member Institutions, NAI Fellows and Annual Meeting participants, such as the USPTO, Smithsonian’s Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation, The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Association for American Universities, Association of Public and Land-grant Universities and more.
- A member-focused organization, with active participation from our member institutions.
- Reasonable institutional membership fees for academic organizations and affordable annual meetings.
- Opportunity to start your own Chapter (not required). If you wish to establish a chapter, the NAI will provide you with templates, examples and assistance for an event
- Recognition and promotion through NAI media communications
- Listed on NAI national and Annual Meeting websites
Membership For Individual Chapter Members:
Membership for Individuals is only available to individuals at a Member Institution with a Chapter and consists of:
- Regular Members of a chapter include academic inventors who hold at least one issued U.S. patent and may include eligible faculty, staff, students, alumni, and affiliates.
- Honorary Members of a chapter include leadership and representatives from your institution and community who do not hold patents but have facilitated and nurtured innovation and economic development at your institution.
Individual Member benefits include:
- NAI Certificate of Membership
- NAI Official Lapel Pin
- Opportunity to receive special recognition for work in various NAI publications including the NAI Journal, presentations and national press releases
- Exclusive news and updates from the NAI sent directly to their email
- The ability to hold leadership positions within an active chapter as a Chapter Officer or Executive Committee member
- Member discount for NAI annual meetings
Stand-out as an Elite Institution
Display your NAI Membership seal to designate your organization as part of the NAI global community network.
NAI Member Institutions and local chapters can download the NAI membership seal and display this innovation accreditation on websites, social media, email signatures, and more.
Thank you for your continued support of the academy, innovation, and discovery!
Post your NAI seal and tag us on the following social media sites:
Twitter – @acadofinventors
Linkedin – National Academy of Inventors
Facebook – National Academy of Inventors